WAD2SQL - Windows Azure Diagnostics to SQL
What it Does
WAD2SQL is a Windows Service that will copy
Azure Diagnostics (WAD)
data from table storage to a SQL server. Diagnostics data currently supported are:
NOTE: In order to use WAD2SQL, WAD must be enabled within your Azure application
- Windows Event Logs
- Windows Performance Counters
- Application Trace Data
The largest reason for the application is to allow for a known access mechanism to data, to expand:
- Existing reporting infrastructures (EG - SQL Reporting Services) does not easily support using Azure Tables as a data source.
- Azure Tables have limited index options making it hard to query.
What is the Status on the Project?
I wrote this application to address a need for my day job. I am passively working on the project and thinking of the next features to implement, including
- Improve indexes based on defined use cases
- Caluclate hourly aggregations for performance
- Provide SQL Reporting Services Reports
- Pull Service Metadata (to allow for better reporting)
- Pull IIS log information
- More-better support using an Azure hosted SQL database
- Improve the installation process
- Allow for data retention pruning